User feedback on V2
I also wanted to weigh in regarding the TVDB 2.0. Planned to do this for a while but honestly my motivation took a bit of a dent once I glanced at the new site. My expectations were a bit different (TVDB establishing superiority on TV data again). I don't want to sound ungrateful but I feel like there is still a lot of work to be done before the site is ready.
Note: I might repeat some things while not others; they're usually meant to all occurrences of those elements.
- The 2.0 as of know seems to be overly reliant on its underlying framework without really coming alive. In a way it stays true to the old sites status quo but it would be great if the site’s maturity would also show in the presentation.
- I have my doubts that the color scheme https://i.imgur.com/0SkAHb9.png is final but it’s a major miss imho. The TVDB logo looks really pale with that green and the darkish turquoise isn’t shining much either among the black and greys.
- Not a fan of most of the title headings with Noto Sans in all caps (capitalization is inconsistent between the pages too). I think going regular case would look better while also retaining the data in it's "correct" form.
- The heavy reliance on tables could be optimized and make areas with them less obvious. Ex. season overview info or things like the country lists. They are not a “pleasing” way to display the data.
- As already pointed out by Plop and Mistywing on the forums; site seems to be overscaled for anything non-mobile. Fixed is a must and so are smaller images.
- I’m not a fan of all the overlays. The effect should be scratched imho as it has a weird timing and does distract (title info jumps from bottom to top while an effect is coming down from top to bottom). It also forces you to move your mouse again to “catch” the link.
- Mobile does not seem to be finished just now with plenty of visual bugs so I didn’t really bother much with it unless feedback is required?
- The top section always includes a finishing “/” separator which looks odd (and the slash is a non-neutral divider). I would also make the "main text" there a little bolder or all caps so that it isn’t smaller than the regular title headings. https://i.imgur.com/8coPoEl.png
- The Toolbox attaches to different sides depending on the area you are browsing…
- Table styles are also not consitent (borders, headings, background).
TVDB for me is primarily a database and not a place to hang out. Anything being a hindrance in achieving my "edit" task is a downside.
- I don’t see a place that throws me directly at shows from the main navigation on top besides the search. The current options bring me to a landing page on which I have to “choose” again. It needs either the “featured” in there again or offer me other options like “on air shows” or “popular/highly rated”.
- I don’t like the way translations are handled now... it seems to be very moderator oriented. As a regular user I just need to see my own language and maybe I would check on the original language occasionally. The switch options are however on every page in-line with the content... You’re also forcing me throughout the site to use the toolbox to edit translations, or add one. If “my” language isn’t already added I even have to browse to a list of all languages despite me not caring about any of them. All those clicks could be saved by more direct edit options.
- You’re adding too much "hassle" at episode levels when you don't allow to set presets at either show or season level. It’s great that it can be overwritten on an episode but the reality is that this hardly changes for regular shows. Same goes for networks, URLs, parental guidelines, etc….
- Maximum season size: In the past some long running anime shows had their seasons split by arcs etc. Now that we get an absolute view with all of them; does that limitation fall away?
- There is very little feedback when searching besides browser native things but is sort of needed since it's quite slow.
- Why are season backgrounds enforced to 1080p and with the season number? I mean for most US shows it’s usually a group shot that gets released which means 100% of the content will have to be customized for this.
- Going towards 4K wouldn't hurt either...
- Are DVD covers gone? There is only the option to add a season poster which is a lot higher resolution too.
- Still limited to only one episode screencap which isn’t the end of the world for me but no HD resolution? That’s not 2.0...
- Networks: Allow me to add an official page, Twitter, description, logo, owner info, sister channels, etc.
- Theme song: Where can this be set and is it taken from? I can only set this on episode timelines but it won't show up on the main. On the main it's also missing any artist attribution. A show can have more than one theme song, some also have relevant ending songs (every anime for example). It can also change on season or even episode basis.
- Studios: Should be called production companies instead? Include logo, website, twitter, description etc. Similar to networks it would be great if we had owners and different tiers for them too. Anime for example always have plenty of those involved (ex. http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=13 under in-between animation).
- Get more credits rolling (for crew members). Take a look at TMDB for this...
- The request moderator assistance form is all in lower-case. Existing cases should aslo show up when using the button.
- The “Welcome” is a bit lonely in this size. While the old text wasn’t that inviting it at least had the word TVDB somewhere in there :).
- I would consider placing the site logo a lot more prominent there as either an overlay on the image or the reverse (logo stencil being the fanart) as it currently is only attached to the navbar otherwise.
- Seems a bit “boring”. It’s merely an image and some text and showcases little by that. Try to customize them as in some webm action, a slideshow or some way to play the trailer maybe?
- The show title should get link up.
- It’s a good starting point to “advert” your DB as in example adding some info below them with “x seasons, x episodes, x backdrops, x ratings, x edits, etc”.
- What do you plan to post there? More “data” handling type of stuff or actual posts highlighting TV seasons/premieres and the like? If it’s the former I would move it way down imho.
- The show title should not disappear on hover as in the full view..
- Given the plethora of shows airing each day this needs either more episodes in the view or some priority system pushing popular shows to the top instead. (more feedback on this on the main page)
- Same as featured shows, try to sell me why they’re featured without me having to check out their profiles (what are they known for, maybe I can see their latest tweet/IG upload).
- Sponsors probably have little to do with the community. It should link directly to the forums imho or to a view that includes your comment field data.
- Discover does not really need to be a submenu.
- I wouldn’t include the API in the top nav either as even for “active” users of it there is little reason to visit it regularly.
- Don’t show my email address but instead my username please :o.
- I would move the search button to the left so it can fill up the “midspace” with the bar (as trakt does it http://i.imgur.com/vYNq6sI.png).
- Smaller resolutions (but higher than mobile) break the intended layout of it and it becomes double line.
- I can add shows but not people from navigation...
- API and LOGIN look lost even with the divider. Maybe they can be moved into the same column as donations.
- Donate is there twice.
- Airtime and channel would be great to know in the box. Maybe I can even further filter by them?
- It would be great if you included certain default timeframes like “last week”, “yesterday”, etc.
- The toolbox looks lost and should be on the same side throughout the site.
- Not really usable on mobile at all since all the info is hidden in the overlay.
- Either call it “On today” or “Airing today”...
Discovery - genres
- Browsing within any genre shows an empty grey bar on the right float (div btn-group-vertical toolbox).
- Finding only the titles and the year in a “discovery” is lackluster. Should be boxes like on the feature view or poster + descriptions. If not at least provide the network/country and next episode airing (that is also sortable).
- I would consider adding alphabet dividers instead of numbers.
Discovery - network
- Let me sort by country :)
Discover - countries
- Redundant to the one above (countries would probably be more popular than networks as a landing page)… I mean in the end this could all be combined into a single view with including those options as filters.
Discover - people
- ^ better description than “Actors, Directors, & Writers” (also does not need a comma before the “&”) (spelled “ACTORS, WRITERS, AND DIRECTORS” in the footer).
- A bit odd that it’s the only page where I can add something and also get a filter option. My first impression of the “+” was that I get to add field filters with it (:().
- The content boxes are too tiny for the information it wants to display. It also ignores the padding when the last line displayed is too long (due to the linebreak).
- I would call this part “developers” and also try to showcase community apps and website/services that use your data. It’s good for SEO and stuff.
- Brand logos are only optimized for white backgrounds. The one with transparency is however the opposite from what you employ all over the site on dark backgrounds; transparent “tv” and white “db”. They are also very lowrez.
- No styling done yet.
- Page still default.
- Membership is not linked up.
- Where does the “translate” content come from? Is this in aims to fill in missing content?
- Especially noticeable on mobile but also on desk: there is very little focus on the actual content > the episodes < on the site. Actors and artwork are taking away the prime slots in the navigation (The finish button should also attach to the “check” area not the content one.
- External links shouldn’t load in the same frame.
- Hide the theme song player if no song is actually there. And how do you actually add them?
- The favorites button is way too big and prominent for being a “non-feature”.
- Toolbox (season) buttons in green are bigger than the ones on the content area.
- Shows without a backdrop show their title twice and also in a different font. Looks really awkward…
- As a regular user I have very little interest in browsing languages other than my own. The language switcher is way too prominently placed…
- Make the number of people favoriting the show browseable.
- Fixed with is way too tiny and once you make the window size smaller it actually jumps up to full width making it wider than before…
- Ask me for the localized title too or I would expect more duplicates.
- The studio field should be browsing existing data. I would also ask for the production company, not the studio.
- Ask for a localized title too (was always missing on the old site too).
- Duplicate check should be a next step and not be handled on the same site for transparency.
- It’s “finish” button should be where the duplicate check is.
- Requesting the slug from the user shouldn’t be standard (it’s way too technical). Only ask when irregular signs are included. It also should be there right away and pop-up suddenly on the next step (since it's in the "filled out" content area).
- Country does not safe between the steps (resets to US). After creating the show it’s even empty again…
- Studio does not save.
- The “overview” field in the assistant does not state me that it will be added to the “original” language but it does… It’s a bit much too expect an original language title AND description :o.
- Let me set more options while adding instead of having to edit them afterwards.
- Backdrops are forced to 1080p? Anime for example is often only prepared for broadcast in 720p and anything above that is either the Bluray luck or just upscaled…
- Upload poster doesn’t seem to save anything. Let me choose the language when uploading.. Or at least afterwards. It can also not be changed.
- Please don’t confirm me the image upload in a popup which I'm also forced to close with only the "OK" button.
- Editing images sucks... too slow and totally different from any other part of the website.
- Really dislike the episode overview as it currently is…
- The episode numbers should be aligned to the left as it is way too unclear where you currently browsing at otherwise.
- The list view should offer a true list view - one row only.
- #115 (closed)
- The “Next” and “Previous” season buttons could be relocated, or at least be styled differently since it’s not really a “tool” for editing.
- The screenshots look out of place. They should not be part of the grey table style imho.
- The padding below episodes is too little. http://i.imgur.com/HllRfBa.png
- Display the season poster above the toolbox like you do headshots for actors. Season backdrops should also display as on the show overview (probably).
- The elaborate "add" animation looks out of place.
- The default numbering should be iterated from 1 (default for 98% of the content).
- A request “custom order” button would be nice to have.
- Absolute and DVD order are probably good to have enabled as an opt-in option? I’m not sure how much mileage the fields usually get.
- #106 (closed)
*There is no click-able way to get back from the episode “edit” within seasons to the season listing itself (only one level too far > show).
- I like the easy way to rearrange a season but shouldn’t this get limited to certain user “classes” or mods? It’s way too easy to completly trash a series within seconds.
- Season translations are not clear with it’s field. If you ask me to translate “Season 1” I’m going to translate it to “Season 1” if nothing is there. But I don’t want to see “Season 1 - Season 1” because of that in the overview… What you are actually asking me for are a season “title”?
- Add a “next” / “previous” episode navigation.
- “On other sites” links should probably be limited to official sites and not include fansites, facebook and all of that. This would probably only ever be different on docu series.
- Trivia etc. is not formated http://i.imgur.com/uUiDvzv.png
- The top-nav breaks the design by being single line and not having a trailing “/”.
- I really miss the way to effectively bulk add episodes. The button should also be treated like the “add season” one or the “+” for “add person” and be detached from the toolbox and “green”.
- Overview shouldn’t be enforced… and neither should I pick the network and runtime on an episode basis for those rare cases where it is different.
- Let me copy paste the date like in V1. It would even reformat things like “Apr 8, 2015” to the proper format. Date pickers are great when you’re operating the current ranges but for everything else they’re a hassle. See #75
- The date picker on subsequent episodes should operate in the same time frame (month/year).
- Runtime should be sorted as on the old site… by length and not starting number.
- Add artwork shouldn’t 404 but take me to the screencap upload OR not appear in the toolbox.
- “Edit translation” is the only view which changes the top-navigation to not include the order and season info. http://i.imgur.com/b7qciHI.png
- Cannot add time info to trivia despite rthe field displaying in the list.
- The time field for music isn’t that clear since it only asks for the start time.
- #108 (closed)
- What is the product field? I’m going going to be allowed to add my sponsored amazon link to any product that appears in the episode o_O?
- Let me add more than one network. Shows air on more than one network even within the same country.
- How can one add guest stars and other credits?
- Show the year for the series.
- It's odd to get three starring roles and the rest of the series in a separate table...
- Confirmation tooltip lacks proper spelling.
- Why is the image flag area lumped in with personal information?
- Cannot add an image after initial creation of a person even if it's missing.
- Needs to allow more than one image to document their age, etc.